Queen of the South Cup 13/14

Lochmaben finally managed to get hold of some cup silverware at Palmerston on Thursday night when they defeated Morton Thistle in the Junior Blues sponsored Queen of the South Cup final.


This was the fourth final that the Burgh have featured in this season and the first they have tasted victory in, having narrowly lost in the previous three. The final score of 3-0 flattered them a little but it was a deserved win after an improved second half performance.


Morton’s best chances of causing an upset came in the first quarter of the game. With the game setting into a midfield battle it was the Thornhill side who created the best opportunities. The first fell to Dale Talaszko but the striker skewed his shot wide of the post from close range. Minutes later Anton MacKay outpaced the Lochmaben defence and was free and in on goal but he took his shot early giving Craig Scobie in goal for Lochmaben the chance to save with his feet. MacKay gathered the rebound and Scobie saved again with his feet and the chance was gone.


Morton competed well creating the odd chance but poor finishing let them down. Lochmaben had trouble with the final ball and squandered several decent positions with slack or mistimed through balls. This meant that a rather poor first half ended goalless.


Lochmaben came out in the second half with a little more purpose and generally took the game to Morton. Morton still had the threat of a quick break and continued to have some decent possession in midfield but failed to create any clear openings. Lochmaben introduced substitute Dougie McRobert on the hour and the big striker just back from his honeymoon turned the game. Within minutes of coming on he sent a cross in from wide right which the Morton defence failed to deal with failing to clear their lines. The loose ball fell to Craig Irving who poked the ball past the Morton keeper from close range.


This gave the game the spark it needed and the final 30 minutes were much more entertaining. Dougie McRobert added a second for Lochmaben with 15 minutes to go firing past the keeper from a Peter Johnstone cross. With 5 minutes to go Dougie grabbed his second sidefooting home from 8 yards, the assist again coming from Peter Johnstone.


After the final whistle the cup was presented to Captain Alan Maxwell by league life member John McLean. The man of the match award went to Shane Watson.


The league committee would like to thank Queen of the South for the use of Palmerston.