British Legion Cup 2013/14

Terregles End 35 Year Wait for Silverware

One of the longest winless streaks in the league’s long history ended on Friday night at the Keswick Centre when Terregles Athletic defeated Lochmaben in the Colin’s Carpets British Legion Cup ending a 35 year wait for a trophy for the Terregles side. This was yet another cup final setback for league champions Lochmaben who have lost all three finals they have figured in so far this season.


Terregles started the brighter of the two teams and were on the front foot as early as the third minute when man of the match Bobby Green hit the post from a tight angle after the ball fell to him at the back post from a free kick.  This was to prove to be a pattern for most of the match as Lochmaben conceded free kicks in dangerous positions throughout. The first 30 minutes belonged to Terregles who put the Lochmaben defence under pressure with lightning fast counter attacks and quality crosses. Keeper Craig Scobie was lucky a few times failing to deal with several crosses confidently which only served to encourage the Terregles attack.


Lochmaben’s first real attempt at goal didn’t arrive until the 28th minute when Shane Watson cut in from the left but his attempt was weak and keeper Paul Hastings collected easily. Watson would not be denied for long though. A lofted pass from Alan Maxwell split the Terregles defence and this time he made no mistake poking the ball into the bottom corner to give his side the lead. This served to encourage Lochmaben and led to a period of pressure with their best chance coming when a Duncan Smith shot from just inside the box was deflected onto the bar. Craig Irving also got into a good position but his attempt was high and wide when perhaps he should have done better.


Terregles got back into the game in the 40th minute when a speculative shot from30 yards out by Bobby Green ended in the back of the net when it looked like keeper Scobie had it covered. This gave Terregles a lift and it wasn’t long before they hit the woodwork for the second time in the match. Paul McCann curled in a free kick which was headed goalward by Bobby Green but the ball came off the post and struck a defenders hand before going out for a corner. The half ended with a late flurry from Lochmaben but there was no further scoring and both teams went in on level terms.


The second half saw Lochmaben have the upper hand for the most part but again Terregles had spells and they always looked dangerous on the break. Duncan Smith looked the most likely Lochmaben striker to make a breakthrough and he went close on a couple of occasions. For Terregles both John Paul Reid and Bobby Green went close.  Terregles then dodged a bullet when claims for what looked like a stonewall penalty were waved away by referee Sandy McNay. With the match looking like it was going to go to extra time Lochmaben had a great chance to win it. A cross from the right landed at the back post where Shane Watson controlled and had time and space to pick his shot but he failed to connect cleanly and keeper Hastings managed to block his shot which then rebounded to substitute Stephen Hislop who fired high over the bar.


Terregles secured their historic win with only a minute to go of the 90. With Lochmaben pressing for the winner the ball broke to Bobby Green wide on the left wing and he drove into the Lochmaben half before finding Paul McCann in the centre of the park. McCann then played a perfect through ball to substitute Shaun Kirk who ran through and finished low into the corner from the edge of the box.


After the match the cup was presented to captain John Howie and long serving committee member Roy Henderson by sponsor Colin McBurnie’s son Aiden. The man of the match award was collected by Terregles’ Bobby Green. The league would like to thank the sponsor Colin’s Carpets and the staff at the Davis Keswick Centre for their assistance on the night.